NY Cannabis Insider is hosting its last industry conference of the year at the Sonesta in White Plains, N.Y. on November 16 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Details and tickets available here.
The conference will host new and seasoned industry professionals for a day of learning and networking. The content will feature both introductory and advanced “courses” on relevant topics such as accounting, insurance, real estate, applying for a license, the medical program, and more, taught by professionals within the NY cannabis industry.
There will also be full-panel discussions focused on the hottest topics for cannabis entrepreneurs as of November 2023 and a live Q&A with “Legalization Nation” comic strip creator Brian “Box” Brown. View the full agenda and session timing here.
Lightning-round business consultations will be available for attendees, in addition to networking opportunities, lunch, a happy hour and more. Business owners, CAURD license holders and SEE applicants are eligible for $50 off tickets by entering the discount code INSIDER during registration.
Panelists and speakers sharing their perspectives include:
· Brian “Box” Brown is an Eisner Award-winning cartoonist, illustrator and comic publisher from Philadelphia; creator of “Legalization Nation”
· Terrence Coffie is an Adjunct Assistant Professor at New York University’s Silver School of Social Work, where he teaches Forensic Justice in Problem Solving Courts and Diversity, Race Oppression and Privilege. He is the Founder and CEO of the Social Justice Network , a grassroots organization that raises awareness surrounding criminal and juvenile justice reform.
· Tavian Crosland is co-founder of Restorative Justice Cooperative, a for-profit organization advancing systems change through cooperative economics models in cannabis. With over 20 years of experience in the cannabis legacy market, Tavian has a deep understanding of systems underlying the legacy (pre-legalization) and now, the legal cannabis industry.
· Imani Dawson is the Founder and President of TCC Media Inc, an award-winning, MWBE-certified full-service boutique branding, marketing, and communications agency. Imani leads a team of creative professionals who provide powerful and engaging written, visual, and digital content and strategies that build brand awareness for programs and initiatives.
· Jeffrey Hoffman is an attorney in New York whose practice focuses on clients in the cannabis industry. He has a particular interest in social and economic equity cannabis license applicants, and he also informs and assists those convicted of cannabis offenses in getting such convictions expunged from their record.
· Kristin L. Jordan, Esq. is the Founder + CEO of Park Jordan, a commercial real estate brokerage and advisory services firm serving the cannabis industry. She is also an adjunct professor at LIM College’s Business of Cannabis Undergraduate and Masters’ Degree Programs, real estate attorney, drug policy activist, and thought leader.
· Eric Schneider is a managing director at alpharoot, a full-service cannabis and hemp insurance company.
· Coss Marte is Chief Executive Officer of CONBUD NY, an OG cannabis dispensary providing a premium shopping experience that proudly hires formerly incarcerated individuals with a deep understanding of cannabis products to serve as our budtenders.
· Scheril Murray Powell, Esq. is an Agricultural, Cannabis, Dietary Supplement, and Trade Attorney at Doumar, Allsworth, Laystrom, Voigt, Adair, and Dishowitz LLP. Scheril is Of Counsel at Feldman Legal Advisors and the Founder of the Cannabis HR Council. She is also an Adjunct Professor at NYU, teaching continuing education classes on Cannabis and Social Equity Policy.
· Dr. Jeffrey L. Reynolds is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Family and Children’s Association (FCA). Since it began as an orphanage more than 138 years ago, FCA has been committed to caring for Long Island’s vulnerable children, youth, seniors and families while helping them prepare for successful futures.
· Joe Rossi serves as a Managing Director of Park Strategies and the leader of their Cannabis Practice Group. Joe focuses on state and local government relations, business development, relationship management and strategic planning. Joe is known to be a zealous advocate for his clients with his unique perspective gained through experience working in organized labor, the public sector, and the private sector.
· Renata Serban is a manager at Cannabis Advisory and Business Advisory Services with Citrin Cooperman. Renata is a CPA and CMA. She is also the Vice-Chair of the Cannabis Committee of the NYS Society of CPAs. Renata is one of the mentors for the Cannabis Compliance Training and Mentorship Program with NYS Office of Cannabis Management, and a member of the Small Business Committee of Institute of Management Accountants.
· Paul Suits, Jr. is Co-Founder and CEO of LakeHouse Cannabis and has developed a business plan and financial model and then built a state-of-the-art cannabis dispensary in Cortland. Over the last two and a half years Paul has experienced every bump in the road and is happy to share his experience with other New York cannabis entrepreneurs.
· Dave Vautrin is Operating Partner at Union Square Travel Agency, a cannabis store. Dave supports a range of strategic functions as well as lead the procurement and portfolio for retail operations. Dave has been in cannabis since 2016 and was recruited by a Canadian investment firm CannaRoyalty to start-up the US Operations in California.
The speakers will share candid and honest insights about the following crucial industry topics:
- Appealing to customers and gaining consumer trust
- Social equity: empty phrase or legitimate effort?
- How do cannabis advocates and industry skeptics see eye-to-eye?
- “Ask Me Anything” about cannabis in NYS with Jeffrey Hoffman
- Q&A with Legalization Nation comic strip creator Brian “Box” Brown
- Foundational business planning for the cannabis industry in NYS
- Applying for a license within the current application period
- Insurance considerations for anyone planning to operate within the state’s cannabis ecosystem
- Modeling financial projections and evaluating entry into the market
- Retail and real estate considerations for new license applicants
- Medical marijuana and how it affects the legal market
Sponsors and vendors are the businesses shaping the industry locally and regionally. They’ll be onsite at the event for advice and help with business questions:
· Cannabis360 is a full-service cannabis marketing partner focused on crafting your brand story, finding your best audience and driving brand awareness for your business.
· Cannabis Workforce Initiative has a mission to promote and support social equity in the adult-use cannabis market by providing quality workforce development and legal education.
· CannDelta assists startups and quickly growing businesses with licensing, security planning, real estate search, site design, training, operations, and compliance.
· Citrin Cooperman is one of the nation’s largest professional services firms, with a dedicated Cannabis Advisory Services (CAS) team that utilizes their specialized knowledge to help companies thrive.
· East Coast Cannabis Insurance has independent agents who work for you to find the best coverage at the lowest cost. From workers comp to crop coverage, they have you covered.
· Etain is New York’s only women-founded, vertically integrated medical cannabis company committed to cultivating, manufacturing and dispensing the highest quality clean, safe, and consistent medical cannabis products for the patients of New York State.
· HUB International has specialized cannabis insurance experts and risk consultants help you manage the emerging risks that face your cannabis business with the right risk transfer and mitigation.
· Jeffrey Hoffman & Associates PLLC is a firm that focuses on clients in the cannabis industry, including licensees in the adult-use cannabis market, patients and practitioners in the medical cannabis space, and cannabis adjacent product and service providers.
· New York Consortium of Cannabis Accountants promotes financial literacy and empower New York’s legacy cannabis market leaders and social equity entrepreneurs so that they may make informed business decisions.
· Zenco Payments offers regulatory compliant Cannabis Cashless payment solutions at the lowest rates in the industry.
A limited number of sponsorships and vendor tables are still available. Contact Lindsay Wickham at [email protected] to learn more about opportunities to reach this audience.
NY Cannabis Insider events are attended by industry professionals, entrepreneurs and key stakeholders in the state’s nascent industry, as well as those from cannabis-adjacent businesses such as legal, security, retail, banking, finance, construction, engineering, compliance and medical marijuana advocates.
Read a recap of the first annual NYS “problems and solutions” cannabis summit and conference held in Albany earlier this year along with an overview of the perspectives that emerged during our “state of the industry” event in Buffalo.
To stay up to date about industry news and upcoming events, subscribe for free to the daily NY Cannabis Insider newsletter briefing.